Wednesday, February 7, 2007


Let's talk PI. No. I don't mean 3.14159265. That would just be weird. And totally out of character for me. Seriously. When have I ever shown y'all an interest in math? Even though my mom is a brilliant accountant. Sorry, Mom.

And I don't mean pies. As in apple or blueberry. Although, that did just make me want some apple crisp with my coffee.

No, I mean private investigators. PI's. Private Eyes. Dicks. Angels, if you will.

So, I was at work earlier this week, and I was talking to a coworker about Charlie's Angels (does that sound familiar?), and then I was telling her about an an ad I had heard on the radio in which the friendly announcer was asking if anyone had ever dreamed of being a PI. At which point I raised my right arm, waved it around and yelled "Me! ME! I wanna be a PI!!!!" It was a bit shocking to the people in the next car, I think. And, since I am THAT kind of story teller, I repeated that action to my poor, poor coworker while I related the story.

Wouldn't you know it....right at that time, in my little dollar store, was a tall and beautiful woman. She stopped in her tracks and gave me an odd look. Well, that's not out of the norm, but then she spoke. And told me that SHE was a private investigator. YES. I'm serious!

And, I kid you not, she was wearing tall black boots and a snazzy trench coat. YES SHE WAS. Would I lie to y'all?

So, I grilled her a little. Did she love her job? Yes, it was different everyday. Did she work for a big firm or a small agency? A big firm, but I was too excited to retain that information. Was she local? No, she was only in town for the day and worked out of a much bigger city.

I wanted to ask her how much her hair played a role in her job as a private eye, but I didn't. Her hair was gorgeous. So, she must know how well it works already.

I gotta tell ya, peeps. I want to be a PI. I WANT it. I CRAVE IT. This is not new. This didn't just pop into my pretty little head since I started re-watching the Angels. I have wanted this for as long as I can remember. Since I was a little girl snooping through anything and everything my parents owned. Sorry, Mom. I watched Murder She Wrote and Remington Steele, too. And Quincy. Not to mention that I had and read every single copy of Nancy Drew, Trixie Beldon AND the Bobsey Twins. And Encyclopedia Brown. And I read them all many times over.

I know I have no qualifications. Besides my hair, starting tomorrow. And my extensive fiction reading, of course. But, I am pretty good at getting info out of people. And, I am pretty determined and stubborn. No, I have no background in law and order. But, I married a soldier. Does that count? Also, I am very good at blending in. Well, except for the hair. The hair stands out.

As far as I know, there is no detective agency in this town. Or even a need for one. Obviously, they just call in the pretty amazon blond from the big city to swoop in on the tails of her trench coat. But, I am an army wife. We will move someday. I will end up in a big city again... someday. And, when that happens, watch me. You just watch me. Maybe I will even start up my own agency. Watch for me.

I'll call it "3.14159265".

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny you should mention this right now... and btw, have you read the Kinsey Millhone series by Sue Grafton? It's Nancy Drew for grownups and also btw, I was a a huge reader of all those books you mentioned...

But anyway, I've often said I'm in the wrong line of work because I'm so damn... nosy, for lack of a better term. One of my nicknames is Info Babe, because if someone wants to know something, I can generally find it out for them. It's also one of the reasons I've considered becoming a librarian, after having worked in one for a couple of years.

But yeah, I'd totally get into working for a PI firm. :)

February 7, 2007 at 9:14 AM  
Blogger Darla said...

Do we get to see the lovely hair? Please? Pretty please? WWJDD?

February 7, 2007 at 10:15 AM  
Blogger aj said...

OOOOH!! That sounds exciting! What a cool career that would be.

And of course, you can't forget how much MORE qualified you'll be after tomorrow.

Because, darling, then you will have THE. HAIR.

February 7, 2007 at 11:32 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Tara, P.I....mmmmmm, interesting!

February 7, 2007 at 1:13 PM  
Blogger Awesome Mom said...

I had a friend the was a PI and he really loved his job. You really should look into it and see what you need to do to get that job. It has to be more exciting than working at the dollar store.

February 7, 2007 at 1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool. I'm sure with your new hair, any agency would hire you on the spot!

February 7, 2007 at 1:49 PM  
Blogger Desperate Housewife said...

I can't find any tall boots that fit over my big fat calves, so I guess being a PI is out for me.

February 8, 2007 at 4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me tooo!!! I want to be one how can I ?? If you ever open up an agency in Tempe, Arizona I'll be your employee :)

February 10, 2007 at 4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home