Thursday, January 18, 2007

Ice Scraper Mitten

I usually try to come up with some clever name name for a pattern. Why? Becuase it's what I do. So sue me. This time, however, I can't seem to find a name I like. I was leaning towards Scraper Draper, but, well.....it sounded odd, somehow. Maybe a little bit dirty.

Anyway, this item doesn't need a fancy moniker. It sells itself. Keep your hands warm and cozy while you scrape your car windows. This, of course, is more for those of you that live in cold places. Like my fellow shivering Canadians. Any shiver-er can benifit, though. Fits the left hand OR the right.

So, no clever name. But, it's a free pattern, so no whining.


Ice Scraper Mitten (aka the Scraper Draper)


Materials:
Size 5 hook
Size 7 hook
2 colors of worsted weight yarn
Standard handheld ice scraper
yarn needle

Abreviations:
ch = Chain
sl st = Slip Stitch
sc = single crochet
bposc = back post only single crochet
exsc = extended single crochet

Ribbing:

With size 5 hook and 2 strands of yarn held together, ch 13.

Row 1:
1 sc in back post only of 2nd ch from hook, 1 sc in back post only of each ch across (12 stitches), turn.

Row 2:
Ch 1, 1 bposc in each sc across, turn.

Row 3-28:
Repeat row 2.

Sl St last row and 1st row together. Do not break yarn.

Mitten:

Row 1:
With size 7 hook, ch 1, 32 sc spaced evenly around edge of ribbing, sl st into 1st sc made. (32) Do not turn.

Row 2:
Ch 1, 1 exsc in each sc around, sl st into 1st exsc made. (32) Do not turn.

Row 3:
Ch 1, 2 exsc in each sc around, sl st into 1st exsc made. (32) Do not turn.

Row 4-17:
Repeat row 3.

Finishing:

Sl st 2 sides of top row together for 6 st, sl st one side only for 4 st, insert scraper handle into center, continue sl st both side together for final 6 st, fasten off, hide loose ends. Tada.

*This pattern has not been tested. If you find any flaws in the pattern, please contact me at coffeecrochet@hotmail.com. This pattern is free to use, but may not be re-published anywhere without my permission.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much! I live in Wisconsin and we finally got some more snow on Monday. My sister was just saying how the snow gets all over her hands when she uses her scraper. You have impeccable timing!

January 18, 2007 at 5:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I always drop my ice scraper because my gloves are so thick. (I hate, hate, hate having cold hands.)

January 18, 2007 at 8:05 AM  
Blogger naomi said...

Cool, thanks ! Good idea for some Christmas gifts for next year. I think I'll whip one up for myself this weekend.

January 18, 2007 at 2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea. Thanks. I' off to find some yarn and crochet hooks.

We finally have cold weather here.

January 19, 2007 at 5:00 AM  
Blogger Tracey said...

What a great idea! I live in the south, Arkansas, but we still get snow and ice. I must make a few of these, one for myself and all my friends.

January 19, 2007 at 6:03 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

I don't think you mean to do two esc in each stitch on rows 4 - 17, do you? Maybe you just mean to do one stitch in each stitch, since at the end you still have 32 stitches.

October 28, 2008 at 4:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home