Monday, January 29, 2007

Calgon, Get Me Out of Here

Do they even have a name for the sound a bunch of giggling teenage girls at a slumber party make? It's not quite a squeal. Not quite a scream. Well...sometimes a scream. Whatever it is, it's loud. And a little annoying. But, it was Big Brat's 13th birthday party. Whatever.

They were pretty good. The only rules I had for them were 1) Don't break my house, 2) Don't feed the pets anything (I don't need more vet bills from food allergies), 3) Don't go upstairs (that's where I was), and 4) Don't wake me up. I threw in a 'no giggling' rule, but that just seemed to make them giggle more.

I was only woken up once. They were jumping around. At about 2 AM. I don't know why. The rest of the time they talked and ate and channelled ghosts. Usual slumber party crap. I came downstairs at one point to get the cat and they all shut up and gave me a deer-in-headlights look. They asked if I heard what they were talking about, so I said 'No, I'll just check the hidden tape recorder tomorrow.'

More damn giggling, of course.

It wasn't too hard getting rid of them the next day. A few had a ringette game to go to. There's nothing worse than sleepover guests that stay until dinner. Or stay FOR dinner.

The parental hand offs went fairly smoothly. I HATE that part. Both when other kids are dropped at our house, or when I have to drop mine off somewhere. My husband hates it, too. We fight over who's turn it is to walk them to the door or pick them up. Why? I don't know. Are we anti-social? A little, yes. I think it's just awkward. Either they leave you standing in a back doorway with nobody to talk to, or one of them stays there and tries to make small talk. Or worse.....when they invite you in and it's up to you to coral your kid up WHILE they make small talk. Very, very awkward. I handled all the parents this time, though, so he owes me. Big.

Overall, not bad. Now I just have to get the place clean. Again. I am restarting my Ten Day Turnaround list again today. I have to do ten easy ones, though, because I hurt my hand. Nothing dramatic, it was opening a bottle of water. Old injury flared to life again. After the cleaning is done, and assuming I don't get called into work, I plan to soak my sore hand in hot water. In the tub. Watching a movie. Ya, I know you're jealous. You'll get over it.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger aj said...

A bubble bath? Yes. Peace and quiet? Double yes.

But watching a movie while IN said bubble bath? You're damn right I'm jealous.

Being that my boys haven't really had or been to sleepovers yet (I think my oldest is about to that age now, but do boys do that?) I'm not sure I'll go through the parent hand off.

But I do remember it when my mom would pick me up when I went to slumber parties. Hell, it was awkward even for ME and I was the kid. My mom came EARLY. Earlier than all the other parents.

Like when all of us girls were still sleeping.

Sometimes even before the sun was up.

She said she missed me.

So, at least you don't do that.

But I'm still jealous that you get to watch movies in your bathroom.

January 29, 2007 at 6:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you made it through that.

I believe the word you're looking for is "squee". (No, really, I didn't make it up! It's listed at urbandictionary.com, so it must be a word. Heh.)

January 29, 2007 at 10:16 AM  
Blogger Desperate Housewife said...

It should be "squeem" or "screal."

January 29, 2007 at 2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on a successful birthday party. I'm with you on the parent thing. When my kids were smaller I would walk the kids to the door and the parents were friendly and chatted and just plain nice. Everybody knew everybody and it was comfortable but not overbearing. Then I moved my kids to a different school and tried doing the same thing with the parents in that community. Let's just say Morinville parents are all interbred or something because you would knock on the door, they would come and let you in and then walk away without saying a word to you....never to be seen again. Can we say 'awkward'. Bitches. I hated em all.

January 29, 2007 at 11:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you did well with your turnaround list.

I just cleaned the shower stall door. And that was as much as 10 things to do.

Glad you survived the slumber party. I wonder if they talked about different things once you put it into their minds that there could be a hidden recorder. (giggle giggle)

Have a nice day.

Cas

January 31, 2007 at 6:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Geez leave for a short time and then I have to hunt down new blogs... Nice new digs here.

I remember when my daughter was in 1st grade and we had an end of school slumber party and she invited every girl in the class. ALL OF THEM SHOWED UP! That ended slumber parties in my book. My son had a boys out nite and them boys were quieter than the girls ever were.

I need a nice long hot bubble bath with a movie after this past month. Maybe I can move the tv into the bathroom. hmmmmmmm..............

January 31, 2007 at 7:03 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

@hughughug

February 2, 2007 at 5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home