Monday, January 22, 2007

Stupid Cat

My cat, Spook, is sick. The little bugger. He has a urinary tract blockage, or some such thing. He can't pee. Or, when he does, it's little tiny drops all over the house. Ew. How much would that suck? Not being able to pee.

The little jackass is costing me over eight hundred dollars. Yes. Eight hundred. I spent at least a half an hour crying about it when I saw the quote. What am I supposed to do? Say no? Of course not. Wanna see the sick little bastard?

Cute, eh? He was cuter eight hundred dollars ago. It was bad enough last year when the dog had a seven hundred dollar surgery and now has to have special food that we have to drive two hours away to buy. Now, the damn cat is costing us MORE. And.....because all of this isn't mind boggling enough.....they say he will be prone to these blockages forever. Even with special food. The cat is only three and a half. Quick, someone do the math. Multiply how many years a cat lives by eight hundred, and add in the extra cost of special food. Oh, and tack on the hair appointments for me, because I will be pulling all of my hair out on a regular basis.

I don't know why I am spending the money on him. I don't even like him. Much. I'm more of a dog person. And he doesn't like me. He meows at me all day, just to annoy me. He jumps on my stomach when I try to sleep. He chases my yarn all over the house. He tried to trip me going down the stairs. That's attempted murder, folks.

OK, fine. So, he's a little cute. And cuddly. And sometimes he's pretty funny. He likes to sneak up on the dog and attack him. He always wins a fight with the dog, even though he's a third his size and has no claws. They're still bestest friends after the fight, though. He catches mice, too. He can't claw them, so he just beats them to death. That's pretty cool. Oh, and he likes to sneak into Little Brat's room right before she goes to bed, just so she'll get upset and yell at someone that the cat is on her bed and won't get off. That's a little humorous.

Whatever. He's getting it fixed. I'll just have to deal with it. But, I swear to y'all, there will be no more pets in this house. I have enough sickies to take care of.

In case any of you cat/animal/Tara lovers out there want to help out, I am adding a special item to my Cafe Press store. It's a cute little pin with a cute little Spook on it. All the proceeds ($1.00 per per pin) will go directly to current and future vet bills for Spook. And, I promise I will like him more in the future. I will even get myself a mug with a cat on it. And call myself 'Cat Crazy' at least once in the next year. And convert at least one dog lover to a cat lover. Through torture, if necessary. I promise. You have my solemn vow. Buy a pin. Buy two.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww.. poor Spook. Male cats are more prone to that condition than female cats, btw. Even though he'll never demonstrate it, he does appreciate that you're spending the $800 on him. And claws or no claws, a good mouser is always worth the money, in my book.

Knock on wood, the most serious thing I've had to deal with in my cats is when Alex had tonsillitis. Yes. Tonsillitis. They gave him amoxicillin, the same pink stuff the kids used to get. Which seems weird to me... they make it taste like bubble gum so that the kids will take it... wouldn't it make sense to make amoxicillin for cats taste like tuna?

I hope Spook is better soon and that this is a one time freaky occurrence of the problem.

January 22, 2007 at 9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, poor kitty. Hopefully he will be feeling better soon, all those little drops of pee cant be good for the ten day cleaning plan.

That being said, I once spent $150 on vet bills for my rat. She had a cold. Thats about 100X the cost of the rat.

January 22, 2007 at 10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww poor kitty. I had to laugh about you not liking...but liking him LOL Animals. They drive you crazy one minute and make you laugh the next. Well worth the $800...I guess. You're a good kitty owner and I'm sure there's no one more than Spook who wants to stop peeing all over the house.

January 22, 2007 at 11:27 AM  
Blogger Christy said...

Cat pee stinks. Seriously, that alone is worth the money. Plus, he is kinda cute! I'll go buy a pin.

January 22, 2007 at 12:50 PM  
Blogger Marvie said...

Oh wow! Spook looks nearly identical to my Tux!

I feel your pain, we went through this a couple of years ago with Tigger. Shelled out painful amounts of money on him. The poor dude was in a lot more pain though.

A couple of tips I learned from that, feed Spook canned food and add water to make it really juicy. The more water you get into him, the less likely he'll be to have a recurrance. Also, go buy one of those pet fountains they're like $30 at the petstore. Keeps the water nice n fresh. Look for Cranberry kitty treats ( online or at Pet Smart) and lastly... we couldn't get the prescription food over here (it would have been as much to pay shipping as to buy the stuff!) So, I did some research and discovered Science Diet's Light Adult has nearly the exact same amounts of the important ingredients as the script food (ash content is a biggie, and something else that I forget at the moment) so we've been feeding that, using the treats and giving them filtered (actually Culligan, but it's what we humans drink too) water in the fountain. *knock wood* so far it's been ok.

Also, when this happened with Tigger, the vet hooked us up with a pet care credit card... http://www.carecredit.com/ (also good for other stuff) You can put in your town to see what vets in your area take it, and talk to your vet about it. It's nice to have as backup, without that Tigger would have really been in trouble because we just didn't have the thousand+ bucks for his vet bills.

Anyway, sorry for the novel. I hope Spook feels better soon, it's a terrible thing to go through for them.

January 23, 2007 at 1:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor baby.

I hope this is the last time.

We have a large male Maine Coon Cat(my first male cat)with very long hair. I worry about hair balls (also expensive)and the urinary tract infection. Fortunately, he loves to drink water, and comsumes a lot of it. We bought him a water bowl that is also a fountain, and I fill it constantly. And with filtered water. I hope it helps.

January 23, 2007 at 6:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our male cat Keebler had the same thing and we had a similar vet bill. Though my wife has had this cat longer than she's even known me, I gotta say, if this happens again, well, let's not talk about it.

By the same token, he's on the prescription food, there's always plenty of water, and I clean the litter boxes once a day religiously so though this doesn't guarantee it won't happen again, what else can you do? Anyway, so far so good.

Good luck.

January 25, 2007 at 7:58 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

poor little spook!
my rooster had the very same thing happen to him. the vet told me the same thing "he'll probably get these 'crystals' for the rest of his life......"blah. we started feeding him the urinary tract health from iams (available at walmart and petsmart) as he suggested that very day. that was over 8 years ago. not a single problem since.
hope that gives you some encouragement (even though i probably just jinxed the hell out of my wallet and my poor rooster) *wink

February 21, 2007 at 8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home